CMU School of Drama


Saturday, October 07, 2006

Sienna Miller apologizes to Pittsburgh

Yahoo! News: "Sienna Miller, who disparaged Pittsburgh in a magazine interview, apologized on Friday, saying her remarks were taken out of context and that she found the city and residents gracious."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This kind of articles are really funny to me. It is always the same story: an actor/actress (or even just a celebrity with no culture or brain), says something stupid about a city and the people from that city get really crazy about it…

Then, the story repeats over and over again: the actress and her publicist apologize, saying that the remarks were taken out of the context and that she actually finds “the city and resident gracious”. By the way, almost by definition, the actress has a relative or a best-friend from the city or the surroundings.

It always seems to be a problem with the context (which, by the way, implies the whole thing is the journalist´s fault)… Isn´t it possible, by any chance, that this Sienna Miller or whoever just screwed it? Don´t they think before talking? Or, if they prefer to be sincere and they really think the city is not “the best place on Earth”, why don´t they stick to their previous opinion?

When I grow up, I think I definitely don´t want to be a publicist.

By the way, I also think Pittsburgh and its residents are gracious.

Laura Prieto García

Anonymous said...

It is one thing to think something negative about a city, and it is another thing to think something negative about a city and then tell that thought to the national press. Especially when that city has a decent sized population, and the revenues of your indie flick are directly influenced by the number of people who are going to see it.

Also, to answer Miller's question: No, I would not feel sorry for you. Even if i did have a funky new york apartment.

-Samantha Englender

Anonymous said...

I think the reaction is, well fascinating. Generally pitsburgh-ers are the first to poke fun at their own city (at least is my experience...). However, it's hard to justify making fun of a group that you are not in. As show by many social and racial groups, its okay to make fun of yourself but often identical comments are inappropriate from outside the community. The ramifications of a public voice (such as Miller) commiting this social fauxpas is incredibly amplified, resulting in this social uprising. - Maddie Regan

Anonymous said...

Ok Pittsburgh - GET OVER IT! There is no reason that this story needs to be front page news. People are entitled to their opinions and they are allowed to not like a place that they are staying. It is ridiculous that the entire city jumped all over her for being too busy to enjoy Pittsburgh properly. Don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest advocate ever of loving Pittsburgh, but I live here and I have family here and I know how the city works. The city really would stink if you were here to shoot a movie and the shooting is all during the day (well, now it has moved to the night, I believe) and you are working an 18 hour day. She is not here to enjoy the city, she is here to make a movie. And the movie is shooting on location at all of the spots that people to go for enjoyment and recreation, but she is there working. Just..get over it Pittsburgh...

- Jen Owen

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with the fact that it is one persons opinion. There are reasons I don't like Pittsburgh, but it isn't causing the city to die and people to scream throughout the night. Sienna Miller was just saying what she thought, too bad it put down Pittsburgh. Maybe Pittsburgh should take a hint and take down all those "No Turn On Red" signs, that would have probably made Sienna Miller less likely to badmouth Pittsburgh. However, Don Wadsworth said (on working with her) that she is a great girl and an incredible actress. Oh well, I guess telling the truth about something isn't what a anyone wants to hear.