Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Sick days for all
Marketplace: "Voters in San Francisco are expected to make their city the first in the country to require paid sick leave for all workers. Could it spark a trend on the national level? "
1 comment:
Anonymous
said...
As an European, it is very surprising to me to know that Americans do not have basic social rights, as paid sick leave, paid maternity leave or, what is more important, a good free Social Security system.
I used to think this was because taxes were not that high and you prefered to install a fierce capitalism (everyone takes care of his/her own life, health… which, by the way, I do not think that is the fairest way of driving a society… but that´s my personal point of view). But I have been even more surprised to know your taxes are not that low in comparison with the taxes level we pay in Europe… So, my question is: where do all that money go? Does it go “only” to the armed forces? Do most of the people think that is the best way to spend the money from taxes?
I do not want to bother anyone with my comment and probably I am not the best person to talk about this, but one of the things I like least about America is the huge social difference you can find in this country. Maybe it is something that is more obvious in Pittsburgh than any other city, but I find too too many really-poor-people in a rich society like this.
Again, I am sorry if I have bothered anyone. It was no my intention with this comment.
1 comment:
As an European, it is very surprising to me to know that Americans do not have basic social rights, as paid sick leave, paid maternity leave or, what is more important, a good free Social Security system.
I used to think this was because taxes were not that high and you prefered to install a fierce capitalism (everyone takes care of his/her own life, health… which, by the way, I do not think that is the fairest way of driving a society… but that´s my personal point of view). But I have been even more surprised to know your taxes are not that low in comparison with the taxes level we pay in Europe… So, my question is: where do all that money go? Does it go “only” to the armed forces? Do most of the people think that is the best way to spend the money from taxes?
I do not want to bother anyone with my comment and probably I am not the best person to talk about this, but one of the things I like least about America is the huge social difference you can find in this country. Maybe it is something that is more obvious in Pittsburgh than any other city, but I find too too many really-poor-people in a rich society like this.
Again, I am sorry if I have bothered anyone. It was no my intention with this comment.
Laura Prieto García
Post a Comment