CMU School of Drama


Saturday, October 07, 2006

Public produces compelling 'Oedipus' update

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "Delivered in a taut, swiftly moving, intermissionless 70-minute production, the Pittsburgh Public Theater's season opening production of Sophocles' 2,400-year-old tragedy continues to entertain and compel our interest to the inevitable."

1 comment:

Derek said...

While this did turn out to be a fairly good show opening night, there were some things about the production that struck me as odd. The initial light focus for the set warmer was terrible. There were harsh lines in some of the oddest places, and it really broke up the set's appearance and made it seem contrived. I felt the marble entryway was nice, as was the shiny black wall surrounding it. This black wall though was very underutilized and could have brought a lot more to the show I thought. My last issue was the rock alter in the middle of the stage. I understood it as a sort of alter and center piece, but I did not get why the piece of wood on top had a hole in it, and why so much trouble was put into that one set piece. The only thing it ever did was flash and let off some smoke at the end as the lights were going out. This piece was very under utilized and could have been better incorporated into the show. It seemed more like a cool effect with little purpose.