CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 05, 2006

Ensler still working on 'Body' issues

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "Eve Ensler used to hate her stomach.
That hatred didn't lead her to diet, exercise or have a tummy tuck.
It inspired her to write her one-woman dramatic work 'The Good Body,' that explores the culture of beauty, food and desire through the eyes of women around the world."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the recent outrage against stick-thin models and the eating disorder epidemic in Hollywood, I think that there could not be a more appropriate time for such a play to open.

Anonymous said...

While I agree with the general sentiment behind the article, I think it weakens itself through it's contradictory nature. It tries to level the gender playing field by noting that both men and women have issues with their bodies. But then Ensler says, "This is an incredible distraction that's keeping [women] from running the world." How can you claim body image is what's keeping women from ruling the world if men have the same problems? I think there are larger reasons for this than large thighs. - Maddie Regan