CMU School of Drama


Thursday, August 01, 2013

Building an NDA-Compliant Porfolio

techwhirl.com: At some point in your technical communications career (and probably at most of them), you will be asked to sign a confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement (NDA) before beginning work for an employer or client. Like most professionals, you plan on doing great work, and want to be able to show future employers and clients exactly what kind of technical communications masterpieces you can produce. But you’ve got to sign that NDA, and it’s gnawing at you how you’ll be able to show your capabilities without divulging information that could impact the company that hired you.

2 comments:

Christy D said...

Portfolios are something that I hadn't really considered much before a few months ago, much less ever considered that confidentiality agreements might be an issue. The idea that I could do work that wouldn't belong to me was sort of mind-boggling. After all, even if I don't patent something that I've made, why would I lose the rights to use my work? But then NDAs come into the equation and the whole thing becomes a lot more complicated. Personally, I think that Camp 2 sounds the most reasonable, but all of the points seem valid.

Unknown said...

This question has also confused me recently. There are some highly confidential yet highly desirasble jobs that anyone would kill to have on their resume. One concept of this I don't understand is how long these agreements last. Do you have to keep quient until the end of time or is there an experation date on some of these documents? I guess it would depend on the company.