CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 09, 2013

'All My Children,' 'One Life to Live' crew members get residuals under IATSE settlement

Yahoo! News Canada: Violating its deal with crew members may be a costly error for the producers of "One Life to Live" and "All My Children." TheWrap has learned that the online soap operas will have to share residuals with behind the scenes workers due to excessive production costs. In June, the soap opera's producer Prospect Park and the International Alliance of Theatrical and Stage Employees Local 52 - the union that represents crew members - squared off in a pitched negotiation over what the labor organization believed were a series of contract violations. The show went on hiatus 11 days early while the two sides dug in.

1 comment:

Nikki Baltzer said...

I am happy to hear that the union and Prospect park have reached a deal that will allow the soaps to run smoothly. I understand the whole change from television to web and now to web and television has made the whole contract thing very confusing. I am excited the show is returning to the television, but I am also glad it is online. With all this rapid change I can see how the contract mess occurred. Being a fan I know I am bias in this situation because I know I will always see the company prospect park as a hero for rescuing the show I loved so much that the evil ABC network cancelled two years ago. Its also not completely surprising this happened because the show became complicated when they said they wanted to reboot it on the internet. Where no other cancel show had dared stepped before. To boldly go and step the path for other cancel shows. As long as they have admitted their sorry and made amends no harm done now. And hopefully this will help lay the ground work for any show that follows a similar off tv to the web and back to tv path. Just look at arrested development. Once a tv show cancel and brought back to be a netflix exclusive. I'm sure their backstage hand contracts were a little interesting to sort out also.