CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Making of a grand piano

Boing Boing: Many parts of the process in building a Steinway have remained essentially unchanged for generations. So much so, that we were able to take decades-old audio from a narrated factory tour by the late John H. Steinway (great-grandson of Henry E. Steinway, who founded our great company in 1853) and use it as the narration for footage shot at the Steinway NY factory in 2011 by Ben Niles, producer of the documentary film "Note by Note."

1 comment:

Kate Fester said...

Wow! This is truly amazing! I knew pianos were complicated, but I did not realize that they had so many tiny parts! I never really thought about when you press the key you want it to come back up quickly for you to play again, and that mechanism. I learned so many new things about pianos in this video, and how they operate. The way they form the piano shape and how they insert the keys is absolutely fascinating! Even while owning a piano all my life, I didn't consider the parts like the hammers and how they are made with only felt, or how the strings were actually attached. Since the video is about making pianos, I was just wondering, how often do you have a tuner come? What are the keys made out of? Truely wonderful article though!