CMU School of Drama


Saturday, March 24, 2012

An Open Letter to Carnegie Mellon School of Drama

The Ghost Light Collective: When I showed up at CMU on a one-year postdoctoral fellowship at the Center for the Arts in Society, I never dreamed I would wind up as a tenured professor here. But the faculty of the School of Drama gave me a shot. And I am so proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish together. I won’t pretend it wasn’t difficult, but I owe the faculty and staff of the School a tremendous debt. Through a combination of their openness, energy, and support of my ideas, and their forbearance with my mistakes and personality flaws, we have been able to grow the curriculum and the opportunities for all students in significant and lasting ways. I’m proud of the part I played in that, and I think that with your continuing support these seeds may continue to bloom in enriching ways. Personally I think the department is entering a new golden age; the sky is literally the limit.

5 comments:

Pia Marchetti said...

I'm sorry I made you leave.

Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful farewell! I shouldn't be surprised, though, since this was coming from Doc and he is always so brilliant with words. Though I only know through stories exactly all that Doc has done for this school, in the last two years I have benefited immensely from his efforts. I didn't know much about dramaturgy before coming here, but now I understand that a great dramaturg is an invaluable resource. I also learned a great deal about interpreting and researching plays in the Foundations of Drama classes that we all took/are taking as a result of Doc's efforts to create those classes for us. I appreciate Doc's dedication to helping us to become more academic, worldly theatre students. I will miss his goofy charm and energy. Good luck, Doc!!

seangroves71 said...

anyone who is not saddened and or surprised by Doc's leaving is a liar and/or heartless. great man and great teacher and never ceases to make as many people as possible smile on any given chance. As shannon puts it we should have all expected this beautiful farewell letter from a master of words. I have a few friends at UCSC and they are very very lucky. Pity though for the freshman of future classes who won't have chemers to make conservatory hour more memorable.

ranerenshaw said...

Such a great farewell. It is encouraging to know we are surrounded by faculty and staff that care as much about us as they do. It is also so encouraging that we are surrounded by people like us who are constantly changing and growing. Our faculty and staff here are not theatrical robots who simply come to work, splurge a lecture, and then leave - they care. I know doc will succeed wherever he goes and am happy for him to not only acquire the job of dreams but move closer to his family. Good luck doc!

DPswag said...

On Halloween, there was a man behind me in line for a coffee. It was Benjamin Franklin, the Werewolf. Better yet, it was Doc Chemers in the most elaborate costume as Benjamin Franklin, the Werewolf. He is one of the sweetest, most charismatic men I have had the pleasure of meeting, and I know we'll all certainly miss him. He was the face of the Dramaturgy program, and before CMU, I had no idea what a Dramaturg was. But, onwards and upwards; I'm sure he'll make people smile wherever he goes and will continue to make elaborate Halloween costumes at UCSC!