CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 30, 2007

How to Multitask Without Losing Your Mind

WebMD: "Research shows that we consistently perform better and faster when tasks are done successively, rather than all at once. A new study is shedding light on why. 'We've identified a kind of bottleneck in the prefrontal cortex of the brain that forces people to address problems one after the other, even if they're doing it so fast it feels simultaneous,' says René Marois, PhD, associate professor of psychology and neuroscience at Vanderbilt University and coauthor of the study. 'This explains why previous data shows brain activity going down instead of up with each new challenge; it's like a mental traffic jam.' Unfortunately, life isn't slowing down."

3 comments:

maddie regan said...

I hadn't thought to try to pair tasks that were *unlike* each other. But when you think about it that actually makes a lot of sense. When I work on two similar tasks - say creating production calendars for two shows of this season - at the same time, it's easy to forget which part of the process you are in for one show and what the last thing you entered was on the other. Everything gets easily garbled. I'll have to think about this the next time I'm sitting at my to-do (i mean "next action," sorry david allen) list.

Anonymous said...

The fact that this article is a feature from oprah.com makes it even more enjoyable. Of course again and again, we are told about the benefits of prioritizing, but what caught my eye was the idea of making one job routine. I find it so true. If you have one item of your day that you always do, no matter what, then not only will you become better and better at it, but you will also be able to rely on that activity taking place. Then you have something to go off of when adding other events into your schedule.

Anonymous said...

I am having this problem in Tap right now. I really have to concentrate on what each foot is doing. One step in front of the other, if I start to waiver at all I mess up. It's keeping myself focused on the steps and doing them again and again that I have to work on. It's just also especially hard getting the information from my brain to my feet. I am not used to these steps and to try and learn then AND remember them at the same time is definitely very hard.