CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Eliminate Common Writing Mistakes

lifehack.org: "Let me just say, spell-check is not your friend. While it is ostensibly a useful service intended to help improve the quality of your written work, it is in actuality the product of a plot between Bill Gates, Richard Stallman, and Kim Jong Il, who are working together to undermine America’s public image in preparation for a non-violent overthrow of our country and our way of life. Really! It’s the only possible explanation for why spell-checking a document allows so many embarrassing and often hilarious mistakes to remain in the final document – mistakes that generally make the writer look more stupid than s/he would if there had been an uncorrected typo or two."

2 comments:

dmxwidget said...

Using spell check is usually good for nothing. Even when it finds an error, it may not be correct. Now that spell check is automated and will automatically do things, it a little annoying. Although this is a bear to deal with, it is good that it gives you choices on how to fix errors it finds.

Anonymous said...

I have HUGE issues with these writing mistakes, whether they are common or just something I've taken upon myself to mess up. The good thing is generally once someone corrects me, I will remember never to do that again. For example, when Boevers suggested I try using a "calendAr" instead of a "calender". Very good suggestion, and I have been using one ever since.
The worst one I have to deal with is the word "frustrated". Growing up, something about that word screamed "FUSTERATED" and I tend to spell it and say it just like that. Nooooo good.
We're working on it.