Community, Leadership, Experimentation, Diversity, & Education
Pittsburgh Arts, Regional Theatre, New Work, Producing, Copyright, Labor Unions,
New Products, Coping Skills, J-O-Bs...
Theatre industry news, University & School of Drama Announcements, plus occasional course support for
Carnegie Mellon School of Drama Faculty, Staff, Students, and Alumni.
CMU School of Drama
Wednesday, June 24, 2026
Elliot McGucken Suspends Einstein's 'Light Cones' Over Desert Expanses
Colossal: Albert Einstein once said that “the most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.” For Dr. Elliot McGucken, the sublime enigmas of nature form the basis of his explorations of landscape and light.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've always believed that the greatest difference between art and the hard sciences is presentation. While logic is more useful for proving a theory than presentation I believe that art is valuable for giving a form to the theory. Reading an equation is one thing but seeing the consequences is another. For high level concepts it's relatively easy to convey the meaning through labs. By observing the rate at which an object falls you have a visual image to associate with kinematics. While it is impossible to empirically visualize some concepts I believe that light is uniquely suited to approximating concepts. These photographs use light to superimpose the abstract with reality. The equations and science allows you to understand relativity. But this art allows you to feel it. From a procedural sense I think that it is interesting how these photos combine the ephemeral nature of light with the ability of photography to capture a moment. I've heard of using long exposure to convey the paths of moving light but I would not have thought of using a drone to create the trails of light.
Post a Comment