CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, December 07, 2022

You won't get shushed by ushers at two popular holiday shows in S.F. — here's why

Datebook: At one performance of “A Christmas Carol” this year, American Conservatory Theater isn’t going to turn down the house lights all the way. The sound is never going to surpass a certain decibel level. Stage lights won’t flash. Audience members can make whatever noises they want or need to. If they head to the back of the theater, they can move around while they watch. If they need to fidget with their hands, ushers will pass out small toys. If they require a break from the theater altogether, the downstairs bar is being repurposed as a cozy space with cushions, coloring pages and a televised live feed of the performance.

2 comments:

Dean Thordarson said...

I have never heard of this type of performance but I love absolutely everything about it. Theatre is an artform that everyone should be able to experience. I can understand how patrons can get upset that neurodivergent guests may unfortunately become disruptive by making noise or otherwise. Making special performances that are sensory safe for neurodivergent patrons where they can just enjoy the art from wherever they want is truly such a heartwarming idea. I would honestly love to attend one of these performances, despite any potential interruptions, just to be able to see the joy and emotion that all of these people who don’t normally get to enjoy theatre. I appreciate that this sensory safe style of theatre is beginning to become more common, for as I stated before, theatre is an artform that is intended to be enjoyed by everyone. I hope this continues to become more common around the country and the world so theatre can become as accessible as possible to all parties.

Gabby Harper said...

I’ve heard of sensory-friendly performances on Broadway, but I haven’t heard of them very often elsewhere. I love that both the SF Ballet and ACT are doing sensory-friendly performances. Not only that, but ACT is also preparing the cast for might occur during the sensory-friendly performance. I think it’s great that they’ve hired Lauren Kivowitz to not only help train both the cast and the front of house staff, but to also help write the 40-page social narrative. I have the feeling that this initiative at ACT is something that Meg Murray helped start, and I’m glad they quoted her in the article. I remember when working at ACT that Megan was actively trying to change how the front of house staff interacted with audience members. I’ll be curious to hear how the sensory-friendly performance of A Christmas Carol goes, and I hope it is something that ACT continues to do.