CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, December 07, 2022

‘Theater of the Mind,’ Sure, But How About a Theater Accessible for All Bodies?

AMERICAN THEATRE: Accessibility is too often a theatrical afterthought. Not so for Denver Center for the Performing Arts (DCPA), and its long-standing inclusion commitment has gone next level with its world premiere Off-Center production of Theater of the Mind (TOTM), a new immersive project from musician David Byrne and writer Mala Gaonkar, which opened last summer and has been extended through Jan. 22, 2023.

1 comment:

Vanessa Mills said...

I am always all for anything that has to do with making theater more accessible to greater populations of people. I think what Denver Center for the Performance Arts has done with Theatre of the Mind is impressive and exciting. What DCPA has does proves that accessible theatrical experiences are indeed possible. I will admit that it sounds like a lot of really difficult work, but I will also assert that It’s simply the necessary hard work required to refrain from literally excluding such a large group of potential audience members. I think it’s great that DCPA also took into consideration that disabilities aren’t always physical. I was pleasantly surprised at the consideration taken into account for those with visual, auditory, or sensory difficulties. The article stated that as theaters move towards inclusion for marginalized communities, the disabled community is often forgotten about, and unfortunately, I would say that I’d agree that’s often times true. I hope to see more theaters make moves like DCPA in the future in terms of making theatre more accessible for everyone.