CMU School of Drama


Thursday, December 01, 2022

‘My Policeman’ production designer Maria Djurkovic video interview

GoldDerby: For Academy and BAFTA Award-nominated production designer Maria Djurkovic, the best part of any film is discovering its visual language — its look, mood, atmosphere, color palette and sensibility. But what is important to her is that this language arises from the material itself. That was certainly the case with her latest effort, “My Policeman,” whose script she was sent during the first COVID-19 lockdown and whose attitude immediately leapt off the page.

1 comment:

Katie Welker said...

This interview was really fun to read and watch. I mean, I always love a good discussion about a designer's process. I think it is very interesting to see the similarities and differences between different designers and how they come up with their designs. I think it is pretty cool that she does not do anything for a movie unless she kind of sees what the movie could look like when only reading the script. And to hear her talk about what it is like to work on a movie that takes place in two different time periods was super cool. Personally, I love working on pieces that are set in a specific time. Because there is so much research that you can do and there is so much information out there that you can use to inform your design choices and that is very fun for me.