CMU School of Drama


Thursday, December 01, 2022

Does Broadway Need Another ‘Romeo and Juliet’ Musical? Pat Benatar Says Yes.

The New York Times: Romeo, devastated and bereft, gazed over Juliet’s lifeless body, lying atop a table in a rehearsal studio at the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts here. But rather than offer a farewell soliloquy before taking his own life, in this adaptation of the Shakespeare play, Romeo broke into song, the lyrics familiar to any rock music fan who grew up in 1980s.

1 comment:

Virginia Tipps said...

I'm just not sure about yet another remake of Romeo and Juliet. I feel like there are so many stories that warrant the amount of retellings we’ve seen but I remain unconvinced this is one of them. I admit however I'd be intrigued by the Pat Benatar aspect of this show because I'm just not sure how that will sound. I was interested by the book writer, as I've seen the Fosters which he also wrote. If he sticks with the same style of that show’s writing it'll be an interesting adaptation to say the least. The production photos look moving and exciting and I know this story is touching to many people. And I really like that Pat is still creating and emotionally connected to her work. I do think it's funny how adamant they are that it isn't a jukebox musical when it has that number of Pat Benatar songs in it but whatever they want. Overall the process seems like it's been lovely so i wish them the best, i just probably won't attend.