CMU School of Drama


Thursday, July 14, 2016

Aliens, Nazis, and Angels: A Capital Fringe Peek

DC Theatre Scene: I’ve been a poet and spoken word artist for many years, as well as a mental health advocate who always told my story behind the safety of the podium. But I was always intimidated at the thought of making the leap into storytelling and solo performance. Then, about five years ago I saw a one-woman show, and I was so jealous. I realized that my “jealousy” was actually a deep desire to do it myself. So I began to study storytelling to prepare myself for solo performance, first with local storyteller and actress Laura Zam, and then with Story District.

1 comment:

Jazzi said...

I enjoy the idea of theater as a means to healing. So many people suffer through such harrowing experiences in life and sometimes therapy isn't enough to help. Theater can be an amazing creative outlet for those dealing with trauma. I also enjoy the idea that such a form of theater could be transformative for the audience. I couldn't image all the conflicts and acts being performed by one person, especially when they are the writer/ primary experiencer of the subject matter of the show. To have to face painful memories head on while being the only actor on stage requires a great deal of concentration and mental stability. The reincarnations of these characters having to be the sole heroines facing such events not only by themselves but doing it in a humorous fashion makes the show that much more praise worthy. I wonder how difficult it must have been to write and rehearse this piece, let alone perform it.