CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Party People: A Revolution Not Yet Dead

HowlRound: I am an emerging theater director, which means I am in the stage of my profession where I am cultivating and creating relationships with directors, producers, and theaters through fellowships and assistantships, also known as “paying my dues.” If you have already paid your dues, or are in the midst of paying, then you know that some opportunities are good while others leave you alone, sitting in the dark theater with permission to only speak when spoken to, and then, only in brief sentences. However, I have had some pretty wonderful experiences assisting and the one I’ll share with you now actually bordered somewhere between amazing and, well, would it be too much to say mythic? What I experienced was the culmination of a living narrative shaped by a deep commitment to community.

No comments: