CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 04, 2011

New Hazlett doesn't follow the letter with new 'Scarlet' character

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: The playwrights who translated Nathaniel Hawthorne's dramatic classic "The Scarlet Letter" into a stage story will be joining Prime Stage Theatre this weekend as their show about a Puritan-era love affair debuts. Carol Gilligan -- a writer and a psychology professor at New York University -- and her son, Jonathan Gilligan, will be meeting with audience members after Friday's and Saturday's shows to talk about their theatrical version of the literary classic.

2 comments:

Robert said...

This is a horrible article, in that the article just mentioned the New Hazlett and that the show, The Scarlett Letter, was happing there and stating nothing else about the show. I question if this person even saw the show. He gave a great recap of what the show was about which were things that you could have gotten from online very easily. He also stated that seeing a show makes you reflect more than when you are forced to read the play or book. I total agree with that fact. I hope that the New Hazlett show was amazing. I know that it is a hard space to work in and very hard to get a good design out of. I hope the New Hazlett the best of luck in there coming shows.

Pia Marchetti said...

I'm disappointed. When I read The Scarlet Letter, I thought that it would make a really interesting play. this adaptation doesn't seem right. I saw a production of To Kill A Mockingbird which also used a narrator-type character (Scout). Adult Scout stayed on stage and filled in back-story between scenes. I felt that it was a total cop out. I fear this adaptation might fall into the same trap. (I'm especially puzzled since a lot of the intrigue of The Scarlet Letter surrounds Pearl, specifically, Hester wonder if something might be wrong with Pearl. Having her in the play as an adult would ruin all the mystery surrounding her.)