CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 13, 2014

To move or not to move: You Make The Call!

The Producer's Perspective: I talk a lot about how the current theater crunch is affecting a ton of shows waiting to land on Broadway, and now it’s affecting those already here. You see, our little show slipped into this season late in the game. And our theater, the Schoenfeld, had a tenant (the import of The Audience starring Dame Helen Mirren) already lined up to open after the end of our previously announced limited run. And then, of course, our box office blew up even more than my partners and I could ever have imagined.

Then what happens?

1 comment:

Camille Rohrlich said...

This is an interesting situation that I’ve never really thought of before. I always assumed that when a show extends, they can just keep going in the same place and add extra dates. Of course, if the production didn’t plan on an extension it makes sense that the theater doesn’t have room for them in their season. I read the Times article that Davenport linked in his article, and I thought it was interesting that the producers of “The Audience” didn’t even consider making a deal with the producers of “It’s Only a Play”. Their reasons make sense, maintaining the artistic integrity of several elements of the production over an advantageous business proposal, but it still is surprising to me that they did not try to bargain for a higher compensation deal. I suppose they are really confident in the success of their production and decided that staying with the original plan would be easier and better in the long run.