CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 28, 2014

Exclusive Interview: Telly Leung

The BroadwayBlog: Among his mentors at Carnegie Mellon was Billy Porter, winner of the 2013 Best Actor Tony for Kinky Boots. “Billy was an alum who directed my senior musical, Sondheim’s Company. Billy’s own first Broadway show out of school was Miss Saigon, so he knew a lot of the tight knit community of Asian-American actors on Broadway. He knew that auditions were happening for the David Henry Hwang revival of Flower Drum Song, and even though I didn’t have an agent, he arranged for me to try out. One day he said to me, ‘After you finish rehearsal, you’re going to take the Greyhound from Pittsburgh to New York and go to the Ripley Greer Studio.’ They kept me all day, and I landed a part in the ensemble.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aww, yay! I'm so happy for him. It is good to know that some people make it out of this school. I am actually kind of in the same boat as him, in one way. I was only allowed to go to this school because it gave me the most financial aide. I however, do not have the long family history to fight against. My mom has done theatre for a long time now, and my sister is a performing arts major at her college. It was pretty easy for me to say that I want to be in theatre. Sometimes it can be a struggle to get your foot in the door. I'm sure the audition that Billy got him really helped to shove it open a bit.
It is important to remember, that for any job, you can't go in there thinking that they won't hire you. You have to believe whole-heartedly that you are the one for the job. That you are the one that they are looking for. That you deserve this job. Otherwise, your lack of confidence will spill out, and you won't get the job, even if you actually are the most fit for it.