CMU School of Drama


Saturday, November 08, 2014

“Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” at Prime Stage Theatre Co.

The Pittsburgh Tatler: Halloween “season” has brought the usual overload of candy into my life; it’s also put a slate of appropriately-themed plays into local theaters. Just as the psychological thriller The Small Room at the Top of the Stairs closes at Off the Wall, Prime Stage Theatre Co. opens its production of Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, in Bruce Hall’s new adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s short novel.

1 comment:

Monica Skrzypczak said...

I love seeing classic literature come to life whether it is on the stage or in a theatre. Being the literature enthusiast that I am, I love the original work so much that I want the stage version to be exact, but I know that is nearly never possible nor interesting enough to pull off. The changes they are making to the original book are really interesting and I think they will help the action of the play greatly. I especially like the change in perspective from Seth Utterson to Jekyll. Whenever you see the action of a story told with a sympathetic light for the unlikely character it just increases the intensity of the action and pulls on your emotions so much more.
Looking from a DP view, I'm also intrigued with the set and how the house comes apart at the seams similarly to it's owner is a really interesting design and I'd like to see pictures of how they actually put that into effect.