CMU School of Drama


Thursday, November 15, 2012

'Annie' Onstage Through the Years

backstage.com: In honor of the latest revival of "Annie" opened at the Palace Theater on Thursday night, we look back on the many actors that have taken on the musical's iconic roles onstage over the years. Director James Lapine's revival of the Drepression-era musical stars two-time Tony winner Katie Finneran, featured on Backstage's cover, as Miss Hannigan, newcomer Lilla Crawford (pictured) in the title role, and Australian opera singer Anthony Warlow making his Broadway debut as Daddy Warbucks.

2 comments:

Pia Marchetti said...

I definitely went through a phase in my childhood in which I was obsessed with Annie. (Can we just briefly mention how brilliant Carol Burnett's performance is in the 1982 film?) The show has a particularly huge range of ways the characters could be (and have been) interpreted. It's even clear from the 8 photos in this article that they came from 8 very different productions.

Alex Tobey said...

Yes, Pia. We can briefly mention how brilliant Carol Burnett's performance is in the 1982 film. Her performance in the 1982 film is brilliant. So is Punjab's. But let's also talk about Rob Marshall's 1999 TV movie starring the Broadway star-studded cast of Alan Cumming, Kristin Chenoweth, Kathy Bates, A udra McDonald, Andrea McArdle, Victor Garber, and that girl from Lizzy Maguire. It's stunning. What a cast.

I think it's important to bring up that I, like Pia, loved Annie when I was a kid. We tend to put it down, make fun of it, and moan and groan about the current Broadway revival, but both the 1982 film and the 1999 TV movie were some of my favorites in elementary school. I even played Drake the butler in my elementary school production of Annie Junior. It's one of the first introductions to the theatre for young children, and should be respected as such. It's a special show.

That being said, I'd be the happiest man on earth if I never saw it again. I would pay money in order to NOT see it. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than sit down and watch a production of Annie. Unless it's the 1999 TV movie. Audra's reprise of Maybe at the end makes me cry every time.