CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mac Wellman: Pushing Boundaries

HowlRound: When I had just left college and moved back to New York, I had the great fortune of meeting Mac Wellman. He was something of an idol of mine, having read his plays as an undergraduate. I couldn’t believe that he was willing to meet me and talk about theater. We met at Lupe’s, a small Mexican restaurant, one that he still frequents, and talked for a couple of hours. From that day forward, he turned from idol to mentor, as he spurred me in the pursuit of my own work as a director. Over the years I’ve had the chance to direct several of Mac’s plays including Fnu Lnu, The Fez, Description Beggared; or the Allegory of Whiteness, and Bellagio. Each play presents a distinct theatrical world, strange and familiar, odd and funny. His roots in poetry shine through in his carefully selected words that are evocative and playful.

1 comment:

Daniel L said...

This article had a lot of useful tidbits about theatre as an art form and about how this industry works, interesting story about Mr. Wellman aside. I liked his comments about "sofa plays," which, although I hadn't thought about it before, are completely consistent with theater I've seen that seems typical. As for how the industry works, most people in the technical side of things get work through similar introductions, and it's paramount that we all do our part to promote the theatre culture he describes. I admire Mr. Wellman's commitment to his own artistic vision as well, and it's nice that it has gained him success.