CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 22, 2012

6 Crucial Job Searching Steps Most People Skip

Wise Bread: After making the decision to look for a new job, most job seekers put together a resumé and then start networking and marketing themselves to potential employers. Naturally, you hope to attract interest and win a job offer as soon as possible. Fueled with the desire to take positive action quickly, however, you may skip important aspects of your job search. Even if unhurried, you may not realize that figuring out what you want in a job and an employer helps you increases your chances of getting hired.

2 comments:

njwisniewski said...

Some of these tips were helpful, however I found most of them relatively expected and nothing out of the ordinary. I also don't exactly agree with the first tip, its important to understand what you want/ are willing to do for a job, but ruling out tons of jobs because they are not your ideal fit seems unnecessary to success, you have to bend your comfort levels a little if you really want to find some work. What I do agree with this article is that sometimes its better to take a decent amount of time to prepare yourself for applying to a job, better than being hasty and flighty and making decisions you might in the future regret. I also like the idea of thank you notes, I for one am the most flattered when/ if I ever receive a card, they are so thoughtful and not as much used as they were before.

Page Darragh said...

I think this article was good but these 6 steps may not be necessary for everyone. For instance, I'm not sure what my ideal job would be. I am enjoying many aspects of technical theatre and may enjoy working in many capacities in the future. I may have to test the waters for a while before I decide my ideal job and even then I may not decide on one thing. I like the fact that I will be versatile. The culture and work titles is something I will be able to adapt to whatever they may be. Clarifying these prior to employment is important. Learning about the interviewer would be helpful and I will definitely try to do that.