CMU School of Drama


Saturday, October 29, 2011

A LIFE IN THE THEATRE: Broadway Carpenter Charlie Rasmussen

Playbill.com: Meet house carpenter Charlie Rasmussen, the oldest active member of Local One of IATSE. Charlie Rasmussen arrived on Broadway as a production carpenter at the Broadway Theatre in 1950. Sixty-one years later, at age 85, Rasmussen is in his office at the Broadway Theatre, one floor below the stage where Sister Act has finished a Wednesday matinee — and where he has been, since 1980, the theatre's house, or head, carpenter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I wish I could meet this guy and ask him a hundred questions about his life and experiences. I know there are many people my age that think that being "just" a carpenter is not glamorous or well-paying, but check out this guy's life! Maybe glamour isn't the right word for it, but he has obviously had some fantastic experiences during his career. He's a fine example of a humble, dedicated man who is working in theatre because he loves it. I think it's hilarious and ironic that he got his once doubtful father a job. It just shows that there are ways to make it in the business- however impossible that may seem for us right now. I admire this man's talent and dedication and I hope that I even half as much energy as him when I'm his age!