CMU School of Drama


Saturday, February 14, 2009

Why the life of Anna Nicole Smith will make for a great night at the Royal Opera

guardian.co.uk: "No doubt there will be a great deal of huffing and puffing at the idea of the venerable, plush halls of the Royal Opera House playing host to a story as sleazy as that of the life of Anna Nicole Smith, to be brought to Covent Garden's stage in two years' time by Mark-Anthony Turnage and librettist Richard Thomas. Critics will in all probability decide that this is as cynical a piece of headline grabbing as it comes. In fact the work has the makings of a work that is firmly in line with operatic tradition."

4 comments:

arosenbu said...

OMG. i can't believe this is really happening. I tend to think of opera as classy, as sophisticated. But ANNA NICOLE??? this is a little bit ridiculous. I can't imagine what they are trying to do, unless they think it will attract people who might not go usually. But I feel as though the anna nicole phenomenon has long since died. And people aren't really that intrigued. I was so astounded by this that I went through the rest of the blog to find out the other ANS articles to see if this really was real.

I am also a bit disgusted by Jerry Springer: the opera, but that is clearly another article.

sarah benedict said...

Really? I agree that I have always pictured Opera to be refined, classy, sophisticated, educated...I would expect this out of the current Broawday, but Opera? Wow, I guess this really goes to show how hard the economy is hitting and how desperate people are for a story.

Megan Spatz said...

Really? I mean this has got to be a joke. An opera about Anna Nicole? My question is, what is so remarkable about her story? This is sad and desperate to me.

Unknown said...

Although I do not normally agree with lazy writing -- and still don't-- it seems as if though they may be able to write this into a slightly-better-than-crap story. However, when the article mentioned those other titles, those stories still had some substance to them. Anyway, we'll see how much actual life we can squeeze into the life of this gold-digger.