CMU School of Drama


Sunday, February 17, 2008

Strange Magic

New York Times: "Your powerhouse of a musical, “Passing Strange,” is about to open on Broadway, which might seem like an unexpected turn of events for a 46-year-old songwriter who has spent most of his career rocking with underground bands in small clubs. Have you always loved musical theater? No. I’ve seen very few musicals, and my producers get scared when I give my opinion of them. Apparently, it’s not the thing to do when you’re on Broadway, to dis other shows. Let’s just say I loved “Chicago.”"

3 comments:

AShotInTheArm said...

I already know a lot of people are going to have problems with this show; I don't at all. People have been quite adamant in saying that the problem in broadway is that its turning into this legally-blonde, flashy bim-bo sort of showcase. However people have also been frustrated with such musicals like spring awakening and its rock-show status. From the latest reviews, both shows have generated a huge success, and in my opinion, I'd rather have the rock-musicals bringing in the money. It just seems to be much more in than any other broadway razzle dazzle. There's real art and art history in this show, maybe that's what people are missing in Young Frankenstein.

weandme said...

years ago i do not think that a musical written by a foreigner to the musical theater world with a heavy influence from drugs would have been successfull. however i think there is a fascination with different types of musical theater today, and audiences are more open to irregularity.

Anonymous said...

This show has been getting amazing reviews within the B-way community. So many people have been making trips to the city just to see this show. It brings something different to people who want to see something new in this area, and particularly after they did some recasting after previews, I think this show will do well for a while.