CMU School of Drama


Sunday, August 09, 2020

Should Colleges Force Students To Turn Their Cameras On?

Reason.com: Zoom University will soon be in session. I suspect many faculties are wrangling with an issue: should students be forced to turn their cameras on during class?

I can see several arguments in favor of requiring students to turn on their cameras. First, if students know they are being watched, they are more likely to stay in one place and pay attention. If cameras are off, students may "listen" to the class while moving around.

1 comment:

Ari Cobb said...

I completely understand some teachers wanting students to keep their cameras on during zoom classes because it ensures that they’re actually present in the class, and if they seem to be paying attention or not. And like the article says, the teachers can gauge facial cues. In terms of needing to use the restroom during class, most professors so far have seemed to be okay with pausing the video for a couple minutes if needed. However I, and probably some other students, are not that comfortable always being visible on a camera. Even if I can’t see myself on the call, sometimes it’s stressful just to know that a camera is on. Needing to sit though classes that are all online is draining enough, and some days just feel so awful I don’t want anyone seeing me. And like the article also says, there are other circumstances that might make having your camera on more difficult. But there are sacrifices that we make to go to school and, in the grand scheme of things, having your video on isn’t the biggest thing.