CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 01, 2018

'Wicked's' Michael Campayno: From Pittsburgh to Broadway and back to the Benedum

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Michael Campayno can be seen onstage as Fiyero in national tour of “Wicked” these days, but you saw him here first.

Before he made his Broadway debut in the same role, and before he made his television debut as Rolf in NBC's "The Sound of Music Live!," he was a Gene Kelly Award best supporting actor as Gaston in Central Catholic High School ‘s 2008 production of “Beauty and the Beast.” He made his way to Carnegie Mellon University School of Drama and Pittsburgh CLO shows, and he was cast in NBC’s “The Sound of Music Live!” while still earning his CMU degree.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

having seen Wicked recently at the Benedum this past weekend, It is interesting to read about the journey of Michael Campayno from his studies all the way up until I saw him onstage. It really drives home how close we are getting to the professional world, and serves as a great example of what you can accomplish if you work hard and keep setting good goals. As for Wicked, I thought Campayno did a great job in the role, and played off of Mary Kate Morrissey's Elphaba very well. I found the writing of his character somewhat simplistic in my opinion though, but I may be biased after reading the more complex novel, in which Fiyero is a person of color who is Elphaba's lover in secret, and Is murdered by the Wizard's gestapo-like secret police as a consequence of his association with the insurgent witch. That being said, I was impressed by how the Musical was able to adapt such a dark and twisted novel into a Broadway musical while retaining much of the story and themes of the original.

Unknown said...

How cool to read about the story of someone who was a Carnegie Mellon SOD student not too long ago! I had no idea that Michael Campayno was a CMU alum in Wicked until I read this article, and this piece really made me wish that I had chance to see this production of Wicked. I also agree with Patrick's comment about how weird and cool it feels to know how close we are to the professional world of theatre, even as freshman at Carnegie Mellon. I loved how this article really went through Campayno's experience as a native of Pittsburgh, as well as his transition through theatre education and into the professional world today. I also really enjoyed getting to watch some clips of Campayno's work over the past couple of years because I think that it showed just how much one person has grown over the past few years. In all, I hope that I have the chance to see some of Michael Campayno's work sometime soon, and I am always rooting for CMU alum in the professional world!