CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 19, 2018

20 Change-Making US Artists You Should Track During 2018

www.clydefitchreport.com: Last month I wrote about 30 socially engaged, international artists you should track during 2018. Now I will turn stateside and present individual artists who are also social justice warriors working for America. They were chosen because they are making work that is highly relevant to today’s particular turbulence in the American context. Please note that these are lesser known artists — you won’t find Theaster Gates or Liz Lerman here. Also missing are artists living and working in rural communities and small towns, as I would need your recommendations to compile that list.

2 comments:

Ella R said...

I now have less time in my life because I need to track these twenty change makers. I think I spent way too long on this article solely due to the fact that I went on mini tangents researching about each of these artists and their work, the politics they engage in, and why their work is impactful in the interesting. I love articles like these because I spend an absurd amount of time procrastinating, and yet I'm learning about people within my industry - and that's really important to me. Some of my favorite humans from this article were Jenny Kendler, who is an ecological artist, Damon Davis, who is a multimedia artist whose passions grew out of his involvement with a Ferguson protest and Leila Buck who is a Lebanese-American actor and writer. While I do feel as though this article was written by this guy with the idea in mind to promote himself, the people he presents are actually really cool, politically engaged artists.

Emma Patterson said...

Articles like these really pique my interest because I always am excited to hear about new artists and change makers in the world. I find it really inspiring and encouraging to know that not only is there a lot of good happening in the world, but that I, too, can be a part of it. I also really appreciate these kinds of articles because I feel like they give each of these people who are working so hard the recognition and appreciation that they deserve for the contributions that they make to our community that I know for a fact they do not hear often enough. I am really interested in NIC Kay’s mission and the work they are doing in New York and Chicago. From the video attached to their website, I can see the passion and beauty in their work, and I find it really exciting to see a person take so much ownership over their body and their place in the world.