CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 27, 2018

The Spring Awakening of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Theatre Kids

The New Yorker: They are young. They are bold and self-confident. They are articulate. They are passionate. They are leading a national movement. And they are theatre kids. A fiercely dedicated band of teen survivors of the horrific shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, this week are earning international attention through social media for speaking out on gun control in a movement they call Never Again.

1 comment:

Rosie Villano said...

I found this article before I read it on this blog, and it genuinely struck me. I find these kids so inspiring, and I am fascinated by the connection to Spring Awakening. It is one of my favorite musicals, and aside from school shooting connection it continues to speak volumes about how previous generations have failed young people, in this case specifically in terms of gun legislation. I also think it is particularly powerful that as the article said,”It’s hard to imagine watching “Spring Awakening” in Broward County,a community where the living are indeed walking on for the dead.” Even though, Spring Awakening was set to go up before the shooting, circumstance gives it a whole new meaning and context. Good theater is about retelling stories in different situations, so even though Spring Awakening is actually about sex education, I can easily see the connection and the relationship to gun violence. One of the things that struck me, was the fact that while the play is a rebellion, the characters are unable to change their circumstances, whereas people like Cameron Kasky, and Emma González have more hope in that respect.