CMU School of Drama


Friday, September 29, 2017

After 60 Years, This Musical Is Getting a Revival

Theatre Development Fund – TDF: Most theatre artists can point to the show that served as their gateway drug. For Broadway performer turned Harlem Repertory Theatre artistic director Keith Lee Grant, it was Finian's Rainbow. "You know that first thing you do in high school? I never forgot it," he says about appearing in the musical. "I'm African-American and from the South Side of Chicago. When I was 13, the theatre group did Finian's Rainbow with an all-black cast! That was the beginning of my love for Yip Harburg."

1 comment:

APJS said...

I think this is a great article. For me, this is the first time I am herring about the Harlem Repertory theatre company. But I am excited to lean more about the group and the work they do. As a black theatre goer, I am exited to see some of the work Keith Lee Grant is doing. This is the type of theatre I am interested in producing one day so to know I wont have to start from scratch is a good thing to know. I love the idea of prompting and producing more diverse theatre community. But not just black shows, while I would love to see new works of black authors, I would really like to see a variety of diversities on a yearly basis. I feel like right now we may have one minority themed show come out a year. I think that Mr. Grant is on his way to help us do that.