CMU School of Drama


Sunday, October 25, 2015

Staging Fright At Chiller Theater: The Musical

90.5 WESA: Many a Pittsburgher grew up watching Chiller Theater the late-night horror and science fiction program that ran from 1963 to 1983. This weekend The Strand Theatre in Zelienople will present Chiller Theater: the Musical. Actor and storyteller Tim Hartman joined Essential Pittsburgh with a preview of the upcoming music and comedy show.

Whereas Chiller Theater showed movies focusing on horror and science fiction Chiller Theater: the Musical will be focusing on fun more than fright.

1 comment:

Vanessa Ramon said...

I think that this is a really fun idea. If a show that I use to love when I was younger came into a musical form that I could go have fun and remissness, I would be thrilled. I think that this is a great way for the older generation to get involved in the holiday. The show itself sounds very interesting. The idea that people are being brought back from the dead and sing songs that show a different side to the classic monsters is pretty interesting and intriguing to those who didn't watch Chiller Theatre. It seems like they have taken the idea of the show and all of its trademarks and made it their own with lots of fun songs and jokes. I think that it is nice that they decided to leave the main character out of the show "If you can’t get Chilly Billy then I’d say don’t touch that". It shows that they respect their inspiration for the show and want to portray it in the best way they can.