CMU School of Drama


Saturday, April 06, 2013

Annie Baker Wins 2013 Susan Smith Blackburn Prize

Stage Directions: Annie Baker has won the 2013 Susan Smith Blackburn Prize for her play, The Flick. The annual award recognizes a work of theatre of “outstanding quality” that was written by a woman. As part of the award Baker will receive $25,000 and a signed and numbered print by artist William de Kooning. The Flick was nominated for the prize by Playwrights Horizons, where it opened last week, and is follows the lives of three employees in a run-down movie theatre.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it is really great we are preforming two plays by playwrights who won this award. After seeing the gorilla girls at the carnegie museum of I keep looking for women in art and trying to see if that bias still exists in theatre. I think it still it is very evidence in theatre. I sometime feel a bias in almost all aspect theatre. The fact the Carnegie Mellon has shows by female authors makes me feel as if we are truly working towards a better art equality. I would also love a chance to see this show as well.