CMU School of Drama


Monday, March 14, 2011

Best and worst of websites for arts organizations

sfgate.com: "It's an experience all too familiar to any modern-day cultural consumer. You go to a website to buy a ticket to a museum show, or to learn about the casting for a play, or to find out what's playing on the one night next month when you've got relatives in town. You click, and click, and click again. You hit 'back' on your browser a few times, and follow another link that takes you nowhere. Eventually - but not without a needless amount of frustration and backtracking - you find the information you're looking for.

2 comments:

emilyannegibson said...

Obviously, this is about theatre websites, but it goes for so many companies. I think the problem for some is that they are in the past. My boyfriend is a graphic designer, and he has recently started designing websites as well, so I've been hearing a lot about website layout and information. He said that even when people know their websites are inefficient, they are sometimes hesistant to change. Sometimes they have an old designer who is not up to the task of bringing the site to a new level. But having user-friendly websites is important, and it helps business. I know that there are many shows I found on a theatre's website when I was looking for something else, and I went to see it, just because it was on the main page and clearly advertised.

Jackson said...

I think this article brings up a good point that is often overlooked. Many websites for arts organizations are quite weak. I've been to many that even if the company is good, if their website is crappy I already have low expectations for the company. That being said, if I come across a company with a very good website I think good thoughts about them even if their quality is somewhat lacking. I feel that often times companies overlook the benefits of having a quality site and will often op for a simple content management system of sub par design firm or turn to a friend of company member that has dabbled in site design before when an online presence is extremely important in this day and age.