CMU School of Drama


Friday, March 25, 2011

Using Technology To Become Efficient With Time

lifehack: "Ever since I started school I have had to battle my procrastination. Sometimes it almost feels like a disease; one that is treatable at times, but just seems to never go away. Because of my bad procrastination, I adopted systems like GTD, a calendar and scheduled and time-blocked everything, reminders of important tasks and due dates “dinging” from everywhere. What I found is that unless I am on top of my game and choosing to “be productive”, I easily fall back into the pit of procrastination, where time is never “of the essence”.

3 comments:

James Southworth said...

Good article, but the reality is you need to reflect on the time you spent, not just track it and say I'll do better. I do agree with what he is saying in this article, using technology to alleviate procrastination doesn't work with out examining where your time went.

Robert said...

This is a great article. I just wonder if at a certain point you wound just remember to do things. I do find myself at times wondering what to do when I feel over whelmed with many things to do at a time. I would like to start to uses one of these things to see how I use my time on a daily bases. At that point I just feel that you should pull an X amount of time out of your day to think, sleep and other things that are not work. Also I feel that this would be a thing that some people would just procrastinate doing instead of their work or it may cause them to do more work since they realize the amount of time that they have to do something. I am going to try some of these apps to see how well they work.

Madeline M. said...

This article is very well thought out and clear however I feel like there is a difference between tracking tasks and actually getting them done. Also, at what point do you spend more time laying out the tasks compared to how long it takes for you to actually do them. I've found that I like to lay out my calendar and tasks before I go to bed. This way, I calm down my mind and get my thoughts and things to do down on paper. Also, I don't feel as if I'm wasting time because I would have just spent that time lying in bed for 20 minutes worrying about all that I had to do. I find that I fall asleep immediately after and wake up ready to go.