CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Being a Woman in Film School…

Victoria Rozler: For the past two days I have been more than prepared to flex my feminist muscles; whether that be because I’ve been watching the Suffragette trailer 29 times a day to prepare for the premiere this Friday or what, but I have been on edge. And SO luckily for me, there have been many instances I’ve come across (mainly during classes) that I’ve been forced to witness and experience the idiocy of those bigoted minds around me. I’ve decided to share these moments to not only to bring awareness to the small, misogynistic situations I already have to deal with but to hopefully start a conversation on the matter.

1 comment:

Kimberly McSweeney said...

I am so happy to see a woman going into the film industry talk about issues like this. You always hear about the issues with female actors, directors, and writers getting fewer and less large roles than their male counterparts in the film and theatre industries, but what no one ever talks about is where this attitude and trends begin. And that’s in school. In my Body Politics class, we were discussing why the female body and medical conditions are often cast off to the side and deemed unimportant or just more women complaining about nonissues. We soon learned that this behavior is nurtured in Medical School. Professors would straight up tell their male and female students that the female body is irregular and unreliable, even going so far as to deem breasts “unnecessary tissue” and toss them aside during a cadaver study. School is meant to be a place to foster all opinions and ideas, not foster habits of demoralizing and demeaning women and their roles in the workforce and society.