CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, January 13, 2015

If You’re Not Failing, You’re Not Growing


World News Videos | ABC World News 99U: Asked where she found the courage to surmount such staggering odds, Blakely says a big part of the credit belongs to her father. Or, more specifically, to the one question he would ask his children every night at dinner.

Some parents are content asking their children, “Did you have a good day?” or “What did you learn at school?” Not at the Blakely household. The question Sara and her brother had to answer night after night was this: “What did you fail at today?” When there was no failure to report, Blakely’s father would express disappointment.

2 comments:

Jason Cohen said...

This article could not be more true! Speaking for myself, you wouldn’t believe how much more I learn through failing than actually getting things right the first time. The reasoning that I think I have found for this is that I am always striving to do things right. When I do something I wrong or fail I never want to do it again, so my brain remembers what I have done so that it never happens again. The hardest part I think about failing is accepting that fact that you didn’t know something as well as you thought you did. I lame society for putting this pressure on us and making something that is such a great learning opportunity (failing) such a frowned up thing. I now go out of my way to be proud of people failing because I know that they are learning even though that may seem really mean I actually cheering them on.

Tom Kelly said...

This is exactly like the metaphor of getting back on the horse even though you have fallen off. however I think that the information the author shared in the article was enlightening and reminded me of many attempts of doing something and succeeding sometimes and but failing at others. It is nice to think that anything we try we will succeed but i always have grown up thinking the other way around in a way. You don't know if you're good at something until you try. The way I am I always strive to hone the skills that make me happy or make others happy. Whether that be music, cooking, or themed entertainment design I think that if people chose to try new things and allow themselves to fail, the world would be filled with talented people who would strive to add something to the world