CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 24, 2014

Using Video Grading to Help Students Succeed

Campus Technology: In my seven years at the helm of the fully online Master of Education program in Instructional Design & Technology at West Texas A&M University, I have never found an admissions tool that reliably separates good prospective students from those who will likely fail. Undergraduate GPA, entrance interviews, entrance essays, standardized test scores all have done an abysmal job of predicting success in my program. A student with a 2.3 undergraduate GPA is probably going to struggle and one with a 3.75 is highly likely to soar like an eagle, but for the Great Middle with their 2.65 to 3.25 GPAs, anything is possible — from All-Star status to immediately assuming fetal position in the face of our workload.

1 comment:

Jess Bergson said...

Hmm... I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it is great that this teacher is giving such detailed feedback to their students. However, I think a lot of success comes from students making it their own initiative to go to their teachers for this level of detailed feedback. By handing the students this feedback, the teacher is setting unrealistic expectations for the feedback they will get in their chosen industry upon graduation. I also am not quite sure how much the video component helps here. I think this teacher's feedback can be just as easily expressed over written notes or a face to face conversation. However, every student takes feedback differently, and this is why I think it should be the student's responsibility to seek it out from their teachers at this level of detail. While I think every teacher should be giving feedback, it is up to the student to reach out to their teachers and figure out for themselves how to succeed.