CMU School of Drama


Saturday, November 29, 2014

Aviary hopes you'll laugh with joy, delight at 'Silent Flight'

TribLIVE: Sing this to the tune of the last stanza of “Silent Night”: “Sleep all day if you plea-ease. Sleep in the barn or the tree-ees.”

That is the National Aviary's feathered spin on the classic Christmas carol, which twists the lyrics into an owl song they call “Silent Flight.” It is one of many clever, bird-themed spins on carols that the North Side aviary has invented for its new, seasonal “Wings in Winter” show, including “I'm Dreaming of a White Chicken” and “Duck the Halls.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so cute! I am glad that there are people out there who still do fun covers of familiar songs. I use to do it in high school for my friends' birthdays. I would take their favorite song and turn it into a personalized version just for them! Let me tell you something about covering songs:
It is really hard. The syllable count has to be just right, or it sounds completely wrong. There are few instances where you can stretch the words or fudge the timing a little. Whoever is familiar with the song will be able to tell right away that you cheated a little. You have to be spot on. And for that to happen, you have to pretty much be a walking thesaurus. I usually reference a thesaurus at least ten times while working on a song. I'm sure they had much of the same troubles that I did.
Other than sympathizing with the hardships that they must have struggled through creating the show, I think that this must be a wonderful show. I am considering going. It is a fun little show that is non-religious and full of BIRDS FLYING OVER YOUR HEAD. How cool is that???

Cathy Schwartz said...

This is really cute! it sounds like a really cool idea for a show. I hope it convinces more people to visit the National Avery, and will hopefully attract the attention of people who wouldn't otherwise be interested in birds, which might create more regular visitors. The Bronx Zoo does something similar during the winter, where they have winter themed displays and lights, and a series of ice sculptures, along with some of the animals that can actually handle the colder weather, like reindeer.