CMU School of Drama


Monday, November 10, 2014

A Guide to Avoiding Safety Hazards at the Workplace

Occupational Health & Safety: Each profession brings with it a certain amount of risk, not in equal measure for every profession, but present nevertheless. An accountant, for example, is at far lesser risk of cutting himself on a knife than a chef, but headaches induced by a badly lit computer screen will apply far more to the former.

Offices contain numerous, seemingly unobtrusive, objects or collections of objects that can be potential safety hazards. It is the job of the employer to ensure that its workplace is safe for all employees. Getting injured can cost the employee valuable time at work. Depending on the nature of his or her injuries, it can also potentially limit the injured person's working abilities. It is just as crucial for employees to know potential safety hazards at work as it is for business owners.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time I read something like this I am stunned we don't have more injury in theater, and I have a hard time believing its anything other than luck. Almost every time we have scaffolding out or are working at high heights people choose speed over safety because "the show must go on" I think a lot of the time we get away with it because OSHA tends to target industries and theater is hard to crack down on because of how we operate. I have, at a Summerstock company, had to work without safety gear when it was absolutely necessary. When I requested it I was told I could either finish the work without it or I was fired. At the time I didn't know it was illegal, but I needed the work so I stayed. Making sure stuff like this doesn't happen should be a priority for everyone in our industry.

seangroves71 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason Cohen said...

My response to this article is simple. Don't be stupid. When you are working in the shops be aware of your surroundings. People are operating potentially dangerous machinery and could go with out you telling them about the newest Taylor Swift music video or something. In other words, don't be goofing around or causing and other distractions to the operators. Also its your own fault if you don't ware ear and eye protection. These are two of the simplest things you could do, and can give you a lot of extra protection. In short, just be smart and use your head and you will avoid many safety hazards.