CMU School of Drama


Sunday, January 27, 2013

Recording: In The Studio: Seven Obscure Mixing Techniques Used By The Pros

Pro Sound Web: Most of the time there is an obvious choice. Need more mid-range? Grab an EQ and boost the midrange. Need more control of the source? Volume automation or compression. Easy. But sometimes we face strange challenges — like how to get more bass in the kick without running out of headroom. Or how to make something sound brighter that doesn’t have much harmonic content above 7 kHz except hiss. Well, where there’s a will there’s a way. Sometimes the way is just a little less predictable.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a fairly interesting tips and tricks article. Some of them seemed rather counterintuitive to me, until I read the explanation which clearly showed the logic behind the statements. The idea of highlighting the midrange of a bass instrument in order to make it pop in the mix is actually a trick that I was already familiar with. Essentially it's describing the famed Metallica "click" on the bass drum, which is a high-mid boost that lifts it out of the mix. A lot of these applied more to studio work than live sound, but still very interesting.

rmarkowi said...

I know, I know, you're all tired of hearing this. But (coincidentally) Lord of the Rings plays in the background, I must once again mention my time in LA with my cousin, the sound guy. But when I was there I was watching the editors doing Kung Fu Panda (2?). And whilst I was in the sound studio with them, I remember them telling me about the high-pass filter making things feel lighter. I've also been known to use the "reverb for intimacy". I think that was Urinetown. Anyways, funny how these things come full circle!