CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 20, 2011

Valley Players take a bite at humorous 'Dracula'

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Just in time to set the mood for Halloween, the Valley Players of Ligonier will be presenting a classic vampire story in a not-so-classic way when they perform "Dracula: The Musical?" this weekend and next at the Ligonier Theater. The production will be an over-the-top spoof of the old black-and-white Dracula movies. "We're taking it full-tilt camp and having a lot of fun with it," director Tim Jacobs says. "We wanted to do a Halloween show, and I wanted to find one that was crazy fun. This one fit the bill."

3 comments:

Pia Marchetti said...

This sounds totally over the top and camp, but I really want to go. I love Dracula movies, and though I think there's a certain elegance to Bela Lugosi's performance, they are ripe for parody.
I think that making all the costumes in black, white, and shades of grey is a really clever concept, in theory. I am a bit skeptical of how the costumes would play off of each other - it might be a bit hard to distinguish between them. It's a great idea though.
I'm going to try and see this, so thanks for posting!

njwisniewski said...

I think that this would make for a great production, a nice twist in this classic play: the black and white costumes kicking it up a notch. Although I myself am a little sick of the whole tagging of ":the musical" to original works, who doesn't like a good comedic adaption of a play with catchy tunes and music?! And with the whole Halloween timing, for some reason this reminds me of Rocky Horror Picture show, minus the transvestites and nudity! I would also love to go see this show.

hjohnson_walsh said...

I really admire it when comedic shows aim to be kid-friendly but also add humor that will please adults. This production sounds like a lot of fun; it's always exciting to hear about new twists on old stories. I'm not sure how I feel about trying to imitate the look of a black and white movie so literally. I can see having a very subdued color palette, but working only in shades of gray might be too visually boring on stage.