CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Yeast Nation (The Triumph of Life)

The Rob Kozlowski Chicago Theater and Vintage Film Medicine Show: "A lot has been made of how Greg Kotis and Mark Hollman picked the worst possible concept for a musical as a fun challenge - covering the lives of single-cell organisms at the beginning of the creation of life on the Earth more than three billion years ago - but personally I don't think it was that much of a challenge if only because the musical necessitated the creation of a universe and society not unlike those from science fiction. No, I think something more up Kotis and Hollman's alley would be a musicalization of Beckett's Not I. Let's see it. I dare them."

1 comment:

Devorah said...

I have heard about this show. I have to say the title confused me but after having read this article it makes more sense. I think pushing the envelope is always a good thing. Even if it isn't always successful. Along with the author I have also have not seen Urinetown but I would be interested in seeing both it and Yeast Nation. I like hearing about non traditional musicals. So much of what we hear about are big profitable shows from people like Disney. The big thing recently is all about turning movies into musicals. Where is the originality where is the art? Good for ATC for premiering this. I have always liked the people at ATC and the work they do. They like to twist the normal. Good for them for taking a chance on something new and unique.