CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Top 10 Apps for Scheduling a Meeting Online

The Best Article Every day: "Meetings suck. But if there’s one thing worse than meetings, it’s playing email tag to schedule them. Is your company still sending out mass emails to ask for preferred meeting times? It’s the pits, isn’t it? Yes, Outlook has a hack whereby you can solicit responses for scheduling, but it’s not much of an improvement. There’s a better way, and it’s a ridiculously simple concept. A Web app lets you pick a range of dates on a calendar and then notify your colleagues so they can pick the times and dates that work for them. You then view the responses and you’re done."

4 comments:

Brian Alderman said...

I love scheduling programs. They allow multiple people, and spaces to be looked at from a pulled back view- something very important when you're dealing with something as complex as a show, with multiple moving parts all of which overlap. In the theater buisiness, we can use these tools for management in ways similar (but not exactly) like they are designed. And i find it interesting, and agree, that one of the important features of all of these programs is that they interface with outlook, ical, google calendar, etc.

Unknown said...

I personally use Doodle when I need to coordinate a meeting time for a group of people. I find that it is great because I Doodle takes care of organizing the information: I don't have to make a spreadsheet of people's responses (or try to interpret what they mean).

Some of the more advanced web apps mentioned seem geared a lot towards (small) businesses; the features don't seem very applicable to personal use.

dmxwidget said...

I am an avid user of Google Canendar as well as Outlook. I have all of my devices syncing to Google Calendar so all of my events are always in coordination with each other. If there were events that need to be distributed to many people, I would try out one of these programs, or use Oracle to distribute n event to many people. Facebook has also been used as a Meeting utility. Although it is not for professional use, it is a way to schedule meetings.

Jeanie said...

I usually use Doodle, but believe it or not I've encountered people who can't figure it out. Tungle looks fantastic though. Really excited about trying it out.