CMU School of Drama


Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pittsburgh Cultural Trust to offer free outdoor performances before G-20 summit

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "Beginning Thursday, The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust will offer a series of lunchtime and afternoon rush hour performances to showcase Pittsburgh's diverse cultural community to early arrivals for the G-20 Summit as well as the public at large.
Each day through Wednesday Agnes R. Katz Plaza at Penn Avenue and Seventh Street will feature free outdoor performances open to anyone."

3 comments:

Sonia said...

I think that this is a great I idea to showcase Pittsburgh's cultural diversity before the G-20. Due to the large amounts of people that will be here it is a perfect opportunity to expose them to the richness of the performing arts. I especially think that the flamenco dancer will be entertaining, because I love flamenco, salsa, and merengue.

Ethan Weil said...

It's great that the city is displaying some art for the event, but I've been surprised how little I've heard of political theatre centered around the conference. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but it seems like a prime time to be making a statement with all of this art. Certainly there are likely to be demonstrations, and there's already an interesting exhibit at the fence, but I think art, and perhaps theatre in particular have a unique capacity to communicate on the major issues of the day. Then again, I can't say I've done my part, so I guess I'd better shut up or get to work.

aquacompass said...

I am continually surprised with the Cultural Trust. For what seems like in my mind such a middle of nowhere town, I'm so glad it has something like the Trust which seems to really have a vested interest in keeping art and culture alive downtown. The project that the lighting design II students are working on right now with the city and the trust sounds really fantastic -- as do a lot of the "events" that the trust works on every year, in addition to all of the venues it is responsible for. Too bad I'm in class all this week, or I'd love to go to some of these performances. Bravo Trust.