CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 30, 2008

Snow globe is part inspiration for 'Shaker'

PostGazette: "Snow globes, those miniature spheres that stir up a storm when shaken, have always provided a source of fascination. When Orson Welles died in 'Citizen Kane,' he dropped a snow globe and whispered that now-famous word, 'Rosebud.' Then, at the end of 'St. Elsewhere,' viewers found that the whole television series was a fantasy in the mind of an autistic boy (he owned a snow globe with a replica of St. Eligius hospital inside it). And, of course, many of us have owned our own snow globe."

3 comments:

arosenbu said...

I think this is a really cool concept (no pun intended). I'd love to see how the dancers move as if in a snow globe. I am also curious as to how the styrofoam slippery beads make them move. It must be really hard to dance with those around

Anonymous said...

This summer the theatre I worked with did a production of "Salt lake" apparently some sort of spoof on swan lake where all the dancers did pointe on the mylar covered in a layer of kosher salt. I didnt see it but always thought the concept was great. aparently the spray of the salt accentuated the high kicks and leaps.

Sam Thompson said...

I would be pretty grumpy if this was my theatre. We would be pulling styrofoam beads out of everywhere for years. It does seem like a cool concept, though, and of course, the art overrides my grumpiness. I wonder if the foam chafes the dancers at all?