CMU School of Drama


Sunday, October 26, 2008

‘Blasted’ and ‘The Seagull’ Bring a Healthy Dose of Misery to New York Stages

NYTimes.com: "THE world is trembling with anxiety. Fingernails are being chewed across America as the presidential race enters its last innings, and the financial Tilt-a-Whirl of the past month has left everyone from Riga to Reykjavik to Rochester unsettled. I am surely not alone in averting my eyes when firing up a search engine for fear that my home page will feature a stock graph resembling a ski slope."

2 comments:

AShotInTheArm said...

I expected this to happen. The minute journalists start talking about "escaping" to the arts, the faster we will see success in the theater. I liked the comment some one made in reference to that chihuahua flick, "they never talk about their 401k". I guess that can be really refreshing even if it is a chihuahua supporting the claim

JIsrael said...

This does have a huge contrast with the films currently in theatres, which, for the most part, have been fairly light. I think a lot of the recent successes in NY have been fairly heavy pieces, but most of the moneymaking films have been lighter. At the same time, though, the films that garner critical acclaim are often much deeper. In the next few months, these films will start to be released. I don't think this claim will then be as justified.