CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 01, 2026

New 4D Effects Coming to Wizard of Oz at the Sphere in Las Vegas

www.hollywoodreporter.com: The Sphere version of the film has grossed north of $450 million since it launched a year ago, and the venue says that tickets are now on sale into early 2027. The film combines the Sphere’s vast screen with effects in the venue, including fire, falling apples and a tornado that forms inside the room.

2 comments:

Cal Murphy said...

I found this article to be really interesting! I think the concept of interactivity for films and live events is definitely intriguing; adding effects like mini-tornadoes, scents, props, and animatronics will definitely change how audience members view the film, especially for something as classic and well-known as The Wizard of Oz. I could see a potential source of controversy coming from the fact that, since The Wizard of Oz is so beloved, viewers might dislike the modernization and shift that stem from the 4D effects, but I also think that the Sphere is trying to update the film for a newer generation of viewers. I also just think the concept of the Sphere is really cool - a massive, spherical amphitheater, with a single huge screen and the capability for such high-tech effects will definitely alter the way people view and experience media, and it’s quickly become famous for its cutting-edge approach to concerts and films.

brice shearburn said...

The Sphere seems like such an interesting and versatile performance space, and I think that it’s an incredible space for innovation. However, sometimes innovative ideas, especially with 4D technology, can go a bit too far. Just yesterday in production science we were discussing why to use materials in theatre, and the topic of scent came up. Scent, while a very effective way to convey surroundings and feelings, is very subjective. A scent that one person finds appealing will make another person nauseous, and that kind of variability isn’t great to have within a screening or production of any kind. This ties back into the 4D Wizard of Oz production because this production plans to use scented apples and a scent for the monkeys. While this addition could make the performance more immersive and interesting for the audience, it could also make the experience miserable for some attendees. While I am all for finding new ways to experience movies and theatre, this screening also begs the question of what level of audience immersion is enough, and when does it become too much?