CMU School of Drama


Saturday, July 18, 2020

'Hamilton' movie credits explained: Visual applause for cast

Los Angeles Times: “Part of the experience of the theater is thumbing through that Playbill at intermission and looking for that person you admire, finding their headshot and learning more about them by reading their bio,” said Thomas Kail, who directed the stage show and the movie. “This felt like the most appropriate way to celebrate this onstage company: creating a visual Playbill, using a cinematic language.”

1 comment:

Marion Mongello said...

I LOVE the Hamilton film on Disney+. I remember the day it came out and watching it with my friends, and since then rewatching multiple times and falling more and more in love with the show each time, and finding new things I didn’t even notice before. In fact, I remember watching the credits for the first time, and absolutely loving that they included all members of the cast with a photo, and gave them the time on the screen that they deserved. Although nothing is the same as flipping through a Playbill at a live performance, this in a way was giving viewers a version of that experience. I love how this article noted the end of the credits, as a way to appreciate the orchestra making music in the moment just as the actors are performing live. Just reading this article makes me want to rewatch.